Friday, November 12, 2004

Gump Memorabilia

The Great's been egging me on for some time to blog more often. And now he's shown me t he highway to blogging through Blog This! It is only befitting that this post be a tribute to His Highness. And what better form of flattery could I indulge him with than imitating his own style myself.

Much inspired by The Great's recent post with favourite quotes from one (series) of his favourite movies, I plucked out from the web the script of one of my favourites, Forrest Gump. Here are some memorable passages...

My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been.

Run, Forrest! Run!

They even put me on a thing called the All-America Team where you get to meet the President of the United States....Now, the real good thing about meeting the President of the United States is the food.

Nobody gives a bunk of shit who you are, fuzzball! You're not even a low-life scumsucking maggot! Get your faggoty ass on the bus. You're in the Army now!

This one day, we was out walking, like always, and then, just like that, somebody turned off the rain and the sun come out.

Neil Armstrong : That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. The, uh, the surface is fine and powdery. I can, I can pick it up loosely.

I thought I was going back to Vietnam, but instead, they decided the best way for me to fight communists was to play ping-pong.

... and we were the only boat left standing "Bubba-Gump" shrimp's what they got. We got a whole bunch of boats. Twelve Jenny's, a big ol' warehouse, we even have hats that says "Bubba-Gump" on 'em. "Bubba-Gump Shrimp." It's a household name.

Now, because I had been a football star, and a war hero, and a national celebrity, and a shrimpin' boat captain, and a college graduate, the city of fathers of Greenbow, Alabama, decided to get together and offered me a fine job.

Though he did take care of my Bubba-Gump money. He got me invested in some kind of fruit company. And so then I got a call from him saying we don't have to worry about money no more... And I said, "That's good. One less thing."

And 'cause I was godzillionaire and I liked doing it so much. I cut that grass for free... But at nighttime, when there was nothing to do and the house was all empty, I'd always think of Jenny.

Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks.

I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took me so much time to understand what your comment meant, but I did make sense of it finally, and quite rightly rushed here!

Good that you finally started again :)

Btw, I am honoured.

Ankur (the Great - if you insist!)